You read that correctly.
Writing is not the be-all, end-all of Existence.
Please — just go breathe into a paper bag for a minute or two. I promise you’ll feel better shortly. I’m a nurse — a professional. I know shit.
I’m also a writer. Or I’m working on becoming one. And I know about seeing damn everything that comes at you as potential fodder for a piece. In conversations I have with other writers here on Medium — random thoughts will be pointed out and noted for their ‘story potential’.
You just can’t let it go.
Until you have to. And then, it’s the easiest thing on the planet.
Because even The Fucking Muse shuts the hell up when Real Shit hits the fan. Even She will admit there are more important things OUT THERE than what we put down RIGHT HERE.
I got a list for you — in fact, this little article is going to be a challenge — My sudden and spontaneous inspiration from The Universe.
After you read this — I challenge YOU to write a list of your “Top Five Things In Life More Important Than Writing”.
So here goes:
- People — All people anyhow, anywhere. My family, my friends, my co-workers, my patients, complete strangers who need directions to the drug store, kids in cages. You name a Human — and they are more important than what I’m doing right here — right now. Every. Single. One.
- The World — The environment, all Her creatures, all Her lands, all Her seas, all Her ecosystems. All. The. Things. I need to pay attention to my surroundings and not live obliviously in the tidy virtual world of cyberland. It’s way past time to deal with the trash.
- Your Health — Trust me when I tell you this — when you’re sitting in an emergency room wondering what the next step is — writing about it isn’t really what’s going through your mind. You want Your People. You want A Tomorrow. You want Your Old Life back. The one you had just hours ago when you walked out of work to your car. You want to go outside and breathe fresh air. You aren’t the least bit interested in your laptop.
- Security — Physical, emotional, spiritual. It’s knowing in Your Heart and Soul, you are going to be ok. Even if the shit hits the fan — and it will. Even if the tests are bad — and sometimes they are. Even if you aren’t in control — because you’re not. You are grounded in Real Life. With Real People. In The Now with a Real Connection to Life.
- Love — I left Love for last because it’s the most important. Love is THE most important thing ever. If you can sort that out, numbers 1–4 are a chip shot. And you become ok with the rest of Your Life coming at you as it will. Including The Muse — should She show up or should She take a siesta — it just fails to matter.
Because there are more important things than writing.